Thursday, August 16, 2012

Very sick Gallbladder 6 days postpartum

So the 6th day of Brayson's life was not a great day for mommy. 1st that morning we went for his checkup and he had gained weight and the Dr. said everything looked good and to come back in a week. He weighed 4 lbs 15 oz at this appt and was 4 lbs 13 leaving the hospital so he had gained weight! After his appointment I had one for the pain I was having. The dr. said it sounded like my gallbladder and ordered me to have bloodwork and an ultrasound that day. I came home and took a nap and pumped and then my mom picked me up to take me to my ultrasound. I had my blood taken for the labs and then went and had the ultrasound. I asked the tech if she would be able to tell me what she saw and she told me she was not allowed to give the results. This was the same tech who told us Brayson was in fact a boy! After a few minutes into the scan she looked at me and said I'm surprised you are not in more pain. Your gallbladder is about to explode. A normal gallbladder is about 5mm yours is 11mm. She then told me I could not leave that she needed me to wait in the waiting room while she contacted my Dr. and the radiologist. I waited there and called Danny and told him that more than likely I was having emergency surgery that evening or the next morning. The tech came out and told me the Dr. would be calling me shortly. Once he called he told me that I needed to go straight to Northside Hospital Emergency room and the surgeon would be meeting with me from there.

My mom drove me to the hospital and I just cried. All I wanted to do in my life was be a mommy and the day after my son comes home I have to go back to the hospital to have surgery and I can't even be there for him. I was also super concerned about breastfeeding b/c of the surgery. Danny obviously had to stay home with the baby and I asked my mom to go and stay with him that night and help him out. My dad went to my house to get me what I needed and he was going to stay the night with me in the hospital. Shortly after arriving at the hospital they put me in a ER room. They came in and hooked up my IV and gave me some pain meds. They told me that from there on until I was off of pain meds I would have to pump and dump. When my dad arrived I did pump and dump which was depressing. A Dr finally came in and talked to us and explained what was going on. Apparently all of my liver panel was extremely elevated indicating the infection. I was also turning jaundice from being so sick. He then explained to us that I would be having laproscopic surgery that night probably around 9 and I should be able to go home the next morning if no complications happened. They were going to have to go in 1st and make sure no stones were blocking anything. If they were then I might have to have a 2nd surgery the following day. A little while later they came and got me and took me to a new room where I was waiting to have surgery and they were prepping me. Then around 8:45 they came and got me and wheeled me into the OR for the surgery. I don't really remember anything after getting in that room so I guess the medicine was pretty good!

I woke up and was in some pain so asked for some pain meds. I believe it was around 12 or 12:30 that I got to my room and my dad got there shortly after. He told me that the Dr. told him it was a good thing that we got it out when we did b/c I was very sick. If my gallbladder had exploded and Brayson was still in me he could have died along with me being very very sick. Everything happens for a reason and God knew that he needed to come early b/c his momma was sick. At the time you don't know why things happen the way they do but it always seems to work out that you find the answer. I truly believe Brayson came early b/c I needed to be diagnosed with my gallbladder and if he was still in me I might not have gotten the blood work or ultrasound to diagnose it. Dad and I came home around 9am the next morning. I was so happy to see my baby! I held him for a little while and then took a nap. I was in a lot of pain from the incisions and also they put gas in your belly so it made my belly ache. I tried to pump a few times during the day but was just so sore and out of it I didn't do it much. My mom spent the night with us again to help with the baby as I couldn't do to much. The next day I pumped every 3 hours but my milk supply had dwindled to almost nothing. I tried to get him to eat from me and still nothing worked. That night Danny still fed him every 3 hours while I pumped. Still my production was not increasing. Saturday morning Danny had tennis and my mom came over to help me with the baby. She came in my room to ask me how I was and I just burst into tears. The surgery had totally killed my milk production and I was getting so depressed about it. I had decided that instead of getting postpartum depression that it would be better to just formula feed Brayson. My mom said she totally understood. I was worried about telling Danny how I felt though b/c he was very pro about me breastfeeding. That afternoon I told him and he was upset but agreed. I felt this was a good decision not only for me but also for Brayson. This way we knew exactly how much he was eating and he was on a higher calorie formula for premature babies. Since having my gallbladder out I have had 1 of the side effects they said was common and that is going to the restroom a few times a day sometimes just after taking a sip of water. I also got a very sore belly button from the incision but for the most part I feel much better and have healed well. The dr. said it can take up to a year after a surgery for your body to completely recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment