Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Getting Pregnant Should be Easy.... Right???

Ever since I was little the only thing I ever wanted to do was be a mom and wife! Even in high school when everyone is deciding what they want to do or what college they wanted to go to my only dream was still to be a wife and mother. After marrying Danny I was a wife next in my mind was a baby. I would have started trying the night we got married but Danny wasn't quite ready yet so we decided to wait to start trying for 2 years. In that time to occupy myself I started playing tennis and found a new passion I never knew I had. After about a year of marriage I realized I really didn't like the way that birth control was making my body feel so I decided I was no longer going to take it. Danny wasn't ready to "try" yet so we just didn't do anything to prevent it. After our 2nd anniversary I realized that after being off birth control for a year that my periods were very irregular and that was going to cause a problem with trying to get pregnant. So I scheduled an appointment with a OB/GYN and went in. I was diagnosed with mild PCOS, which basically means I had characteristics of it but not full blown. My characteristics were not hormonal but I did have tiny cyst rings around my ovaries which is one of the signs. The Dr. decided that we should try Clomid, a drug that makes you ovulate, and said I should be pregnant by the fall. So we started taking Clomid and at the end of that month I got my period so I had to go back in and have an ultrasound and bloodwork and get a prescription for another round. Well this continued on straight through the fall and I was on Clomid for about 10 months. After that 10th month my Dr. sat me down and told me that they couldn't do anything else for us and that it was time to move on to an RE. Danny had been tested as well and it turns out we both had some issues but nothing too significant that we shouldn't get pregnant. So around Feb or Mar of 2009, Danny and I met with an RE. We decided that we would try an IUI (Intrauterine Insemination). He put me on a drug called Metforim to regulate my cycle and starting in April with the beginning of my cycle I stated taking Femera to make me grow eggs. Femera is generally used to treat breast cancer but in studies found that some women respond better to it as an ovulatory drug. I had to be monitored through bloodwork and ultrasound to see how my eggs were growing and when they were ready we went for the procedure. I remember it fell on a Sunday. We had to be there early so Danny could give his part and then we went to breakfast and waited for them to be ready for my part. We went back in the room and found out that after the wash our count was not very good. I remember us both leaving there feeling very defeated and just knowing that it did not work. I had to go back the next Sun for bloodwork to check my progesterone level which was good and then the following Sun for my pregnancy test. It came back negative and that was hard. At the Dr. office they were just like let us know when you want to come back in. Well, I wasn't and neither was Danny. The IUI was expensive and emotionally draining.

For the next 2 years Danny and I decided to step back a little and just try the old fashioned way! I decided I needed to lose weight and put all my time and energy into that instead of TTC (trying to conceive). I lost about 40lbs in 6 months and felt great. Any couple who has had infertility will tell you it is hard not only on yourself but on your marriage. I think both people begin to feel guilty that it is them and begin to withdraw b/c you can't give the person you love the most in the world what they want. Danny and my relationship definitely took a hit and we had drifted apart for sure. It took some struggles but we worked through our differences and started to work on our marriage again. I stopped being so obsessed with TTC and really stepped back. For our 5th anniversary we took a cruise on the Allure of the Seas. This is where I noticed Danny staring at babies and smiling at them. I remember him pointing out a baby on the plane that I didn't even notice. For the next few weeks I started to think about that and realized I was pretty sure he was ready now. Then came the hard part... deciding that I was pretty sure there was no way this was going to happen on it's own and that we were going to need medical intervention, meaning IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment